Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Happy Birthday Ann Dvorak!

Ann Dvorak photographed in the 1930's.
Ann Dvorak was born on August 2nd, 1911 in New York City. She was a contract player at Warner Brother's Studio in the 1930's and made films until the early 1950's. I don't know much about Miss Dvorak, but there is a recent book written about her by Christina Rice, which I plan on reading!

 I have seen her very well-acted and complex performance in the movie Three on a Match (1932), which she plays one of three friends from childhood (they were not necessarily friends during childhood, but they do become friends when they are older), who goes down a path of self-destruction by using drugs and hanging out with the wrong people, like a young Humphrey Bogart! I won't say what exactly happens to Ann's character, but it's not a happy ending for her. I would love to see more of her movies and thanks to Warner Archive and Turner Classic Movies, I can!

Ann Dvorak photographed in the 1930's.

Ann Dvorak was a unique and talented beauty who is not as well remembered as she should be today (this is a common theme on this blog!). Happy Birthday Ann!

A random fact about her that I do know: Ann was an uncredited extra in four of Robert Montgomery's films in 1929 and 1930! They are So This is College (1929), Free and Easy (1930), Our Blushing Brides (1930), and Love in the Rough (1930). I have actually only seen Ann in Our Blushing Brides (1930), as one of a few girls surrounding Robert Montgomery at a fashion party, but I will have to look into the other three!

No comments:

Post a Comment