Friday, August 4, 2017

Happy Birthday Anita Page!

Anita Page photographed by Ruth Harriet Louise in the late 1920's.
When I was 15/16 years old, I started writing letters to actresses who were still alive from the Golden Age of Hollywood.* One of the lovely ladies that I wrote to in 2008 was Anita Page. I never thought that I would get a response from her, but I received a beautiful autographed photo of her in the mail saying, "Greetings to Emily Evans, from Anita Page". I was ecstatic! I still am!

Anita Page passed away at the age of 98 in September of 2008, which was not long after I received my autographed photo from her. I'm very grateful, as it's one of my favorite autographed photos that I possess. Anita Page had a relatively short career as an actress, but she starred in many popular Silent movies, such as Our Dancing Daughters (1928), and early Talking movies, such as The Broadway Melody (1929), which won the Academy Award for Best Picture that year!
Anita Page photographed by George Hurrell in 1930.
Robert Montgomery and Anita Page photographed by Clarence Sinclair Bull in 1930.
This is one of my favorite photos of Anita Page, as she is photographed with my favorite actor, Robert Montgomery. Robert Montgomery and Anita Page co-starred in four movies together from 1930-1931. These were: Free and Easy (1930), Our Blushing Brides (1930), War Nurse (1930), and The Easiest Way (1931).  The above photo was of them at a screening of Anna Christie (1930), which was Greta Garbo's Talking movie debut. This was obviously for publicity, but nonetheless, the photos of them at this screening are adorable! **

Anita Page will always have a special place in my heart. Happy Birthday Anita Page!

*I would write a nice letter and ask them for an autographed photo, send that with a self-addressed envelope, and give them a little money (I think I would give $5.00, unless if I knew that they charged a specific amount).
**The photos are available in the May 1930 issue of Motion Picture Magazine, which can be viewed on the Internet Archive! Website: https://archive.org/index.php

No comments:

Post a Comment